EAL Area 7
Implement effective classroom practice and pedagogy to ensure effective, inclusive learning and progress for EAL pupils.
1. How should classroom strategies for learning & teaching be altered to meet the needs of EAL learners?
– Ensure that you have prepared your class by telling them of background and language of new pupil, provided labels of school equipment (using both pictures and language) and chosen a buddy to initially look after them
– To find out more take a look at the strategies to create a welcoming environment document in the useful documents section (Right).
2. What aspects of best practice for all students apply to EAL learners?
– EAL students have a temporary additional need which is primarily language acquisition – it is separate from typical additional needs but with crossover points.
As an overview:
– Use visuals, actions and real objects to attach meaning to language
– Use active, practical tasks
– Plan opportunities for speaking and listening
– Provide good models of language
– Remember it is tiring learning in another language!
– Take a look at the suggeted classroom approaches documents in the useful documents section (below).
– Take a look at the strategies to create a welcoming classroom documents in the useful documents section (below).